There are many advantages of learning music. Apart from being able to enjoy the beautiful sound that music can create which is up to your own creativity, below are some additional advantages of learning music:-
Advantages of learning music
1. One of the advantages of learning music is to sharpen our intellect. Early music lessons can assist in the development of our brain. Even before a child is born, exposing music to babies can have a soothing and calming effect. Learning music involves the right brain activity which is associated with language and reasoning. Research has found that this brain development continues for many years after birth.
2. New research has even found that there is a connection between music and spatial intelligence. Spatial intelligence refers to the ability to imagine and form mental pictures in our mind. Spatial intelligence can be used to solve complex mathematical problems which involves the ability to visualize 3-dimensional objects. So, learning music is not only developing the right brain, it also helps in developing the left brain to a certain extent as well.
3. Learning music can boost the self-confidence of a child. There are studies who showed that students who learned music when they are young are more successful academically and on standard tests such as such as the TOEFL, IELTS or the SAT. Music students normally also achieve higher grades in their schools. The ability to perform well on stage also greatly enhances the self esteem of students of music. Stage performance also develops bravery to overcome anxiety. A little anxiety is a good thing and the ability to deal with this early on in life will greatly help boost the self confidence of children. Self confidence is in fact on the the critical skills that employers are looking for during the hiring process.
4. Students who learn music develop greater self discipline. Music like any other crafts requires students to practice, practice and practice. Music students learn craftsmanship as they diligently put together what constitutes good and presentable work of art. These standards pushes the students to continually demand a new level of excellence and require students to stretch beyond their comfort zone to achieve their own true potential. Through music, students learn to appreciate reaching a certain level of excellence or grade through persistence and hard work.
5. Music study enhances teamwork. In an orchestra, there are many instruments that are being played. In order for the performance to really sound good, all players must work together in synchronicity and harmoniously towards a single goal of having the best display of performance. In doing so, everyone and must personally commit to practicing and attending rehearsals. It is through these activities that strong friendships and bonds are formed and the value of teamwork is appreciated and commended.
6. Music provides an avenue for students to express themselves. Everyone has a certain style of doing things including playing music. Music provides an avenue for students to discover their core and inner self. Music lets students get in touch with what they truly are and what they feel.
7. Playing music can help the mind to relax and release tension. When playing music, the mind gets occupied with the beautiful sound that is created. This in turn can melt away any worries that has been bogging the mind. Learning music also helps to occupy the time of students and divert their attention away from unhealthy activities like drug abuse and obsession with computer games. Learning and playing music is indeed a healthy activity that should be promoted to more children.
8. Last but certainly not least, music can provide a very good career path for students who are willing to take it to the next level. Teaching music is a very rewarding career and with the current downturn in the economy, teaching music can be a very good alternative to the traditional jobs. It also allows you to work at home as well as set your own working time.
With so many advantages and no disadvantages of learning music, it is strongly encouraged that parents send their children to music appreciation classes or music lessons. It is also good to send children to learn music early as that is when their creativity is at its peak potential to be developed. A good age to start learning music is from the age of 4 to 5 years old.